Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sugar Cookie Goodness

Who doesn't love to make and decorate sugar cookies at the holidays? Especially with kids it has become one of our favorite things to do. A few weeks ago Jack and I were shopping and he asked if we could buy a leaf cookie cutter. Why not, right? I generally don't make sugar cookies except for Christmas so to change it up we made some Thanksgiving Leaf Cookies. Imagine the reprimand I received from my husband when I told him I was trying a new recipe and not his mother's beloved sugar cookie recipe. I assured him this was just a trial and I would indeed make 'his' cookies for Christmas. I was pretty delighted with the new ones however I think I'll have to stick with Josh and keep his mother's as my favorite too.  Take your pick or make them both and you decide.

CREAM CHEESE SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softenened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
3 cups flour


1. Cream butter and cheese until fluffly; mix well
2. Add egg, salt, vanilla, and almond extract; mix well
3. Add flour, Wrap dough in plastic and chill several hours or overnight.
4. Roll out on floured surface and cut out cookies (keep on the thicker side). Bake on ungreased sheet at 375 degrees until edges begin to barely brown. (about 10 minutes). Cool completely and frost (see below).

FROSTING
a couple of tablespoons butter, softened
a splash of milk (or more)
a touch of fresh lemon juice/or vanilla
a ton of powdered sugar

1. In/with an electric mixer, combine all ingredients; mix until you get the correct consistency (go thinner than you think for expertly frosted cookies ala Martha!)

GINGER'S SUGAR COOKIES

2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
Flour

1. Mix all together adding enough flour to make a soft dough; Knead well
2. Roll out and use cookie cutters to make cookies.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until edges are just slightly brown. Don't overbake.
4. Once cooled, frost and decorate with sprinkles, etc. (I like to use Decorator's Icing with milk and confectioners sugar on these).



2 comments:

The Blanch Family said...

so...which one turns out more soft and delicious?

The Goads. said...

The consistency is almost identical. Ginger's might be a little softer. In one you really taste the almond, the other is the nutmeg.