Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet Potato

I guess I didn't realize that Sweet Potato Vine grew real potatoes! I've used sweet potato vine in planters before but never found something like this. When I went to pull out all my plants this week to clean up for winter this is what I found! If you can't tell from the picture, the big one in the front is about 8 inches long and the size of regular large potato. It makes sense though...a potato vine growing potatoes. It just never occured to me I would find such large roots in my planters. Does anyone know if these are edible? I tried googling it but couldn't find a concrete answer.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is so funny! I have yet to clean out my planters, but now I'm wondering if I will find some real potatoes down there! My mom uses sweet potato vine all the time...wonder if she's ever seen the likes of this. ;)