Monday, September 27, 2010

Making Friends

For anyone whose kids have 'started school' you know that it's like putting a piece of your own heart out there. You want them to be liked, to have friends, to not have their feelings hurt for any reason, etc... Well all of that is part of life, the good and the bad. Jack started at new school this year so he's having to make new friends...
The first days of school we would ask him about kids in his class, who he sits by and who he plays with at recess...all subtly encouraging him to make new friends and not rely on his two little girl friends from church who are in the other class. Some days he plays with the girls and some days he said he played by himself.
Let me just tell you about last week.
When I picked Jack up on Wednesday, he had the biggest smile on his face and came running over to me.
"Mom, I played with one of the boys in my class at recess today! His name is Toby and he had a football and asked me to play catch with him...and mom, I asked him if he wanted to come over to our house sometime." My heart about melted on the spot! It was so stinkin' sweet. Thank you Jesus for giving us friends. 
To top that, after school we dropped Jack at a birthday party with a bunch of kids he went to school with last year. Upon seeing him everyone came running over to give him big hugs and tell him they missed him this year. 
That's all for now. 

1 comment:

Dave, Ninny and Isla said...

So cute! Thank goodness for friends :) He's a Goad though...he is sure to attract friends.