Monday, February 18, 2013

Confessions of a PCTU night nurse

Since the surgery, Lucy has been located in the "bay", an open area that services about 10 beds of the more critical patients in the PCTU (pediatric cardio-thoracic unit).  There was no way my wife would be able to sleep in that area overnight and only one of us could sleep in the single bed in the Ronald House in the hospital.  You all know what that means, I was sent to sleep in the chair-bed behind my daughters setup in the bay...little did I know that would be the best thing that has happened in a while.  

There is something to be said about the nurse hangout time to be had overnight.  I learned about a scandalous circumstance at a hospital in Flint where a nurse is suing the hospital for discrimination (and got to listen to the scheming of how they could find that golden ticket...I found out about their girl-scout cookie preferences...who felt good about eating donuts...Bella and Branson the dogs...Leanne and Izzy splitting the weekend shifts...and most important, the unreasonable demands of the hospital come Christmas.  To have seniority would be sublime :)...

All in all, we are so glad that Lucy has some privacy so that Jodi can feel comfortable sleeping in with her and pumping bedside, but I am sure going to miss being one of the girls...sometimes, I fear I am too good at it.

Here is a picture of Lucy's new surroundings...


1 comment:

Bekah said...

Such a teeny little body in a big bed. Glad you guys have a much calmer space to hang out in now.